Ulm Journal

Published quarterly in Ulm, Germany from 1958–1968 (14 issues, 21 numbers, some double and triple issues), this international journal provided a comprehensive account of the theoretical, rational and practical curriculum at one of Europe’s most influential design schools since the Bauhaus. Co-founded by Inge Aicher-Scholl (1917–1998), Otl Aicher (1922–1991) and Max Bill (1908–1994), the HfG opened in 1953 (officially in 1955) and closed in 1968. Although the journal’s editorial staff changed over the years, primary figures included: Tomás Maldonado (b. 1922), Dr. Hanno Kesting (1925–1975), Gui Bonsiepe (b. 1934) and Renate Kietzmann (dates unknown). The first 5 issues were published in English, French and German and subsequent issues were published in English and German.

ulm 1

Collection

ulm 1

October 1958, Anthony Froshaug

ulm 10/11

Collection

ulm 10/11

May 1965, Tomás Gonda

ulm 2

Collection

ulm 2

October 1958, Anthony Froshaug

ulm 3

Collection

ulm 3

January 1959, Anthony Froshaug

ulm 4

Collection

ulm 4

c.April 1959, Anthony Froshaug

ulm 5

Collection

ulm 5

July 1959, Anthony Froshaug

ulm 6

Collection

ulm 6

October 1962, Tomás Gonda

ulm 7

Collection

ulm 7

January 1963, Tomás Gonda

ulm 8/9

Collection

ulm 8/9

September 1963, Tomás Gonda

ulm 12/13

Collection

ulm 12/13

March 1965, Tomás Gonda

ulm 17/18

Collection

ulm 17/18

June 1966, Herbert Kapitzki

ulm 21

Collection

ulm 21

c.April 1968, Manfred Winter

ulm 14/15/16

Collection

ulm 14/15/16

December 1965, Herbert Kapitzki, Eckhard Jung

ulm 19/20

Collection

ulm 19/20

c.August 1967, H. Jacob, Manfred Winter