Campo Grafico, Rivista di Estetica e di Tecnica Grafica, was Italy's premiere, independent printing, typography and graphic design journal of the 1930s. 66 issues were published in Milan from January 1933 to May 1939. Under the direction (Direttore Responsabile, until February 1935) of Attilio Rossi (1909–1994), more than 20 original “campisti” or founding members designed and printed the journal as a reaction to the growing tensions of nationalism and conservatism in the printing industries. Campo Grafico pioneered a platform for discussions about the ideals of the European avant-garde while experimenting with functionalism, grids, asymmetry, white-space, photomontage and offset printing processes.
This collection of Campo Grafico images were gratefully provided by principle curator, Sandro Berra of The Tipoteca Italiana fondazione – an independent, printing museum and archive founded in 1995 by Silvio Antiga. Located in the small town of Cornuda in the northeastern province of Treviso within the Veneto Region of Italy, Tipoteca is dedicated to preserving and advancing printing knowledge by way of its’ rich, historical collection of printing presses, lead and wood type, specialized archive and library, a working print shop, workshops and exhibits.